ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State vs. Fairfield updates

stevehare Rivals

The Golden Flash!
Dec 21, 2001
Follow along as Kent State plays at Fairfield on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. in a second round NIT game.

KSR's Ryan Lewis will provide the updates.

Anyone that makes a prediction in this thread on today's game gets a FREE one-year subscription to KSR. WOW...can't beat that!

Looks like both teams are going to throw up a bunch of 3's today. So far, KSU has 2, Fairfield has 1, but leads the Flashes, 7-6.

Flashes working inside now as Porrini's bucket cut Fairfield's lead to 1, but Fairfield responds with another 3 and it's 15-12.

First half notes:

--high octane flow, both teams pushing the ball and shooting it from anywhere on the floor
--FU's Needham is faster than anyone on KSU's roster, and is also shooting well. He has 18 points on 7-11 shooting and 4-8 from 3-point range.
--Holt is Kent State's leading scorer with 11. He scored KSU's first eight points.
--Both teams made five 3-pointers in the half. Kent took 11, FU took 13.

Originally posted by stevehare Rivals:
Anyone that makes a prediction in this thread on today's game gets a FREE one-year subscription to KSR. WOW...can't beat that!
A little late to the party, but Kent State 77-71.

While Fairfield is a solid program, it's games like this we need to win if we want to be in line with how we envision our program.

Holt hits another 3! He has tied Needham with a game-high 18 points.

Game also tied, 49-49.

Talk about mirror images of each other. Similar playing styles, shooting patterns, even similar individual performances right now.

Originally posted by stevehare Rivals:
Look for Carlton Guyton to start in place of Justin Manns as the Flashes play the match-up game.
Shouldn't we have gone with two big men and force them to adjust to the physical mismatch? They'd be forced to take their lone big man off Greene or risk covering Manns with a much smaller guy. I know Manns has had his ups and downs, but has been coming on strong lately and I think would use his size advantage very well. I never understand when you have a mismatch in your favor you take it out of the equation and play right into their hands. If you had a very fast player would you sit him so he was slower like the defenders? And you could sit Manns back in the low post playing zone to cover up his defensive deficiencies and let him swat shots like Zeke.
This post was edited on 3/20 12:49 PM by Polish-Hammer

Sherman and Greene getting involved. 58-52 with nine minutes to go.

Porrini is heading to the bench, grimacing.

Looks like Fairfield is going to live or die by the 3.

And as I say that, Hawkins drives the lane for a bucket and-one.

Give FU credit, they're not allowing any entry passes and when they do he is instantly surrounded and sometimes triple-teamed.

OK, thanks. I am not able to watch the game. If they're doubling down on him isn't that more reason by we play Manns more and exploit a size mismatch downlow? They wouldn't be able to defend those 2 properly.

PH...I think Manns and Greene would help KSU on the offensive end, but I would guess Geno's decision to play Guyton instead of Manns had more to do with slowing Fairfield down on the defensive end.

So far, I think it's working as KSU leads.

Rod is SOOOOOOOO strong to the hoop, if Greene took notes and went to the hoop possessed like Rod then he'd be an absolute beast.

Holt is fouled with 45 seconds left and hits both FTs. Kent 70-64.

Orlander hits a put-back with 32.5 seconds remaining, 70-66.

ADVERTISEMENT