ADVERTISEMENT

Will Matthews

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
"Take pride in yourself. Be your own person. Don't do things because everyone else does them. Don't be part of the crowd. Dare to be different. Never be afraid to stand up for what you believe to be right, even when it means standing alone."
-- Jack Lambert

This spring, running back Will Matthews (Destrehan, La.) claimed the Matt Ramser Award, given to members of the football team who best exemplifies the qualities of "courage, dedication, attitude, and commitment" that Ramser displayed during his fight with cancer after accepting a scholarship to Kent State. "When I think of Matt, I think of a well-rounded person," Coach Haynes said of his former teammate. "This goes far and beyond the realm of football. Will is an awesome young man that always has a smile on his face. He's a man of faith and he gets his teammates involved in life outside of football."

When Will wore a large cross at last year's October 17 weekly press conference, I couldn't help admire him for his devout faith and commitment to God. Since Kent State, like most colleges and universities, is highly secular, I applaud Will for daring to be different and standing up for what he believes to be right just as Lambert suggested.

"My determination more than made up for any lack of speed, height, weight, or whatever else I wasn't supposed to have."
-- Jack Lambert

At 5-7 and 205 pounds, I believe Will's determination will make up for his lack of height just as it did for Lambert's lack of speed and weight. I'm really looking forward to watching Will play this season, along with 5-9, 206 pound running back, Justin Rankin.

Go Flashes!!!

http://kentstatesports.com/news/2017/4/6/football-flashes-announce-spring-awards.aspx

https://books.google.com/books?id=Y6DxlhaymVsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=1001+Motivational+Messages+and+Quotations+for+Athletes+and+Coaches:+Teaching+.&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTuLCcxbHVAhUJ24MKHdEfATwQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=1001 Motivational Messages and Quotations for Athletes and Coaches: Teaching .&f=false

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News