ADVERTISEMENT

What does it mean to be a preferred walk-on?

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
From footballscoop.com:

With National Signing Day less than 24 hours away, prospects and schools around college football are in a mad dash to get all their seats filled before the music stops playing. With so much movement over such a small time frame, it can be a very confusing time.
In speaking with sub-FBS coaches, one of their biggest frustrations is with concept of the preferred walk-on. Kids will often turn down scholarship money at smaller schools to take a spot as a preferred walk-on at a larger state school although, in many cases, they're not exactly sure what they're stepping into.
We reached out to 10 FBS player personnel staff, operations staff and coaches across the nation to see how their program handled preferred walk-ons. Nine out of the 10 staffs we spoke with use the "preferred concept" and to those nine, the clear difference between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred means he is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster day one of camp, while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.
Nine out of the ten staffs that we spoke with used the preferred walk-on concept. At each of those nine, preferred guys were guaranteed a spot on the 105 but none of the nine said that preferred guys were guaranteed a spot on the traveling squad. We heard of a few unique cases where the player (perhaps a son of a coach or something) was effectively guaranteed a travel spot but sounds like this is rarely the case going into August.
One coach added that preferred guys "may also be invited to summer school to train with the team. Some conferences allow the institution to pay for summer school without penalty."
We asked if most of the preferred guys were effectively guaranteed a spot on the roster for week one and most said they were, but two coaches cautioned, "it's the real world, nothing is guaranteed."
"It's hard to guarantee anything because you do not know what will happen, but you have to be up front and honest with the preferred walk-ons that are willing to pass up a scholarship. We have had a number of preferred walk-ons earn scholarships and also a few that didn't have what it takes to compete for one."
In the most traditional sense, a preferred walk-on is a player that has scholarship offers from small FBS or FCS schools that hopes to play his way into a scholarship at a Power Five school. "Most of the time they will be rewarded in their second season on the team so he doesn't get counted backward or forward," one coach told us. "If you look at a lot of the top teams, they have a great walk-on program."
One staff member whose team doesn't use the "preferred" concept told us, "We think it's kind of a poor way to lead a kid on. The 105 is always such a fluid number that any incoming walk-on we tell that we are not sure if they will be in the 105, but we always bring the walk-ons that have been with us in first and then bring a walk-on in depending on the needs we have for scout team purposes or if we need a body due to injury. It's just too hard to use a term and not be able to put any merit behind it because there is definitely confusion on what it means just another thing we have created as coaches to make things more difficult on ourselves."
One response that we got from a coach who clearly has had to manage people before offered this...and we liked it, "Preferred walk-on means you join the team and are a part of the team - are treated the same and receive the same benefits (academic support, equipment, coaching, etc.) as everybody else with the exception of at the cash register - they will have a bill. Nobody around the team should be able to tell the difference between a preferred walk-on and a scholarship player," another coach cautioned. "A program that is good for walk-ons would be one that walk-ons are only preferred. When a program has a class system - scholarship, preferred walk-ons, walk-ons - is a bad situation for walk-ons."
At the end of the day, it's pretty clear that for those that offer "preferred" spots, they are telling the players that they are on the day 1 roster; but like anything else, they need to earn their reward thereafter and there certainly are no guarantees.
A former player text us last night the following, "I was a preferred walk-on at a division 1 program. To the program, all it meant was that I was part of the 105. To me, it meant so much more: the extra time to develop myself, extra time to build relationships with teammates and coaches, and extra time to be a part of something great!

Coaches explain

Sam Kukura's dream becomes a realityWritten by Steve Hare
Sam Kukura grew up in a football family. His father, Dan, played at Kent State from 1972-1976 and later coached at Kirtland and Eastlake North High Schools.
Kukura developed a passion for the game and dreamed of following in his father's footsteps. That dream became a reality when the Kirtland senior committed to Kent State as a preferred walk-on.

"I started talking to them on and off during the off-season last year and after this season I was talking to a bunch of colleges," Kukura said. "I got a preferred walk-on from Toledo and soon after that Kent called and offered me a preferred walk-on too. I went down for an official visit last weekend and just absolutely loved it."
Kukura, who led Kirtland to the Division VI state championship in 2013, expects to start out at running back for the Golden Flashes but like his father, who started out at linebacker before moving to center, he is willing to play any position that helps the team.
"When I went down there for my official visit I met with the running backs coach, so as of right now I think it's running back," he said. "I'll play whatever they need me to, whatever is best for the team."
Kukura and his father have attended many Kent State games in the past and Dan Kukura wouldn't let on, but he always wanted his son to play for the Golden Flashes.
"That was my dream since Day 1," Sam Kukura said. "My dad, he's pumped. He tried not to show anything while I was making my decision because he wanted me to make it myself. I think deep down he's very, very happy."
The opportunity to earn a Division I scholarship also led to Kukura choosing to walk-on rather than accept scholarship money from Division II programs.
"It's absolutely awesome," he said. "That's the thing I've dreamed about my whole career. I always had the thought of playing DI and when Kent came along I was like, 'Wow, this is the perfect fit for me.' I dreamed about it my whole life and now it's a reality. Now I can go out and try and earn a scholarship."
A first team All-Ohioan in 2013 and a special mention selection in 2012, Kukura capped off his four-year career at Kirtland with a 56-2 record.
"It was the highlight of my life," Kukura said. "Growing up around football with my dad being a coach here at Kirtland and then playing underneath coach (Tiger) LaVerde, he's a great coach and a better guy. He taught me so much about life and football. To play with the guys I played with, I would be nowhere without the guys I played with. The O-line and every guy next to me made it easy for me."
Kukura plans to major in Exercise Science.

This post was edited on 2/7 6:01 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

Sam Kukura's dream becomes a reality

Sam Kukura's recruiting snapshot
Name: Sam Kukura.
School: Kirtland.
Position: RB.
Height, weight: 5-9, 200 pounds.
Rivals.com ranking: Not ranked.
College: Kent State, as a preferred walk-on.
Others considered: Toledo, Ohio Dominican.
Major: Exercise science.
How he fits in: "I'm excited to play running back because right now they are battling injuries and aren't very deep (at that position), so I'm excited to have a shot to compete and maybe, someday, earn a scholarship."
I knew I made the right college decision when… "I stepped foot on campus and talked to the coaches and met with all the players. My dad went there and played football there, so that's always been my dream growing up ? to follow in my dad's footsteps."
The first thing I'm going to do when I get to campus is… "explore more. To visit more things that I didn't see before."
My college dream is to... "play football and to get a good degree."
What people don't know about me is… "that I love to fish with my dad. I like camping. My dad and I will go to Key West and go fishing down at the ocean. We have a boat we take out on the lake here."

Sam Kukura

ADVERTISEMENT