ADVERTISEMENT

The SADDEST PROGRAM In College Football

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
I believe this is a fair analysis by someone not intensely familiar with Kent, Ohio and Kent State University. However, by not including Jack Lambert as one of Kent State's football greats, Scott Fisher is showing he is a novice when it comes to Kent State football.

Fisher states that Kent, Ohio is historically a manufacturing town and when the industry died, Kent as a city itself died making Kent State its largest economic asset even still today.

He states, "No attempts were made to redevelop the city around Kent State until around 2008 but for a long time not only was Kent State located in a dying town in the shadow of another MAC member, but it was also terrible at football at the same exact time."

Fisher is right that there were no attempts to redevelop the city around Kent State until 2008. However, when Acorn Alley was created in 2009 and became the corner stone for Kent’s revitalization, the downtown area experienced a renaissance that seemed unimaginable years ago when I attended Kent State.

Today, Kent's population is about 28,000. Through the 90s Kent's population declined by about 3%. But it is estimated that in the first five years of the past decade the population of Kent grew by about 1%. But since 2005, Kent's population has declined by about 1%, which isn't significant.

Comparatively speaking, Akron's population through the 90s also declined by about 3%. But whereas in the first five years of the past decade the population of Kent grew by about 1%, it is estimated that in the first five years of the past decade, the population of Akron declined by about 3%. And whereas Kent's population has declined by about 1% since 2005, Akron's population has declined by about 2% during that time.

But unlike a number of cities in the Rust Belt that have lost residents over the years, Kent is far from dying. As evidence of that, Kent was selected by Ohio Magazine as a 2022-2023 Best Hometown. The Best Hometown honor recognizes Kent as a great place to live, work and visit. The magazine’s editors chose Kent for its vibrant downtown, strong campus-community connection and focus on supporting residents and students alike.

I agree with Fisher that Kent State needs to hire someone who wants to be there, but the university had former alumnus Paul Haynes and let him go after five seasons. I still argue that had Haynes been retained, his sixth season would have been successful with Dustin Crum at quarterback, Nick Holley at running back and Stefano Millin anchoring the offensive line. But because Haynes was fired, Holley didn't come back for a medical redshirt season and Millin transferred to the University of Pittsburgh where he immediately earned a starting role on the offensive line. Millin started all 14 games at left tackle and was selected All-ACC Second Team. Millin even displayed his athleticism when he scored a six-yard touchdown on a designed throwback lateral in the Panthers’ 34-13 win at Wake Forest.

So, given the athleticism of Holley, Crum, and Millin, I can't imagine just how good that team would have been. Suffice it to say, it would have been much better than Sean Lewis' Woody Barrett-led team that went 2–10 and 1–7 in the MAC in 2018.

I often ask Republicans, "Was it worth selling your soul to Donald Trump to get three Supreme Court justices on the bench?" So, in the same vein I ask Kent State, "Was it worth losing your principles to hire a coach, who never had a desire to stay at Kent, just for the opportunity to play in two bowl games?"

In answering this question, I will give a resounding 'no' in response because the result of the mass exodus of talent caused by Lewis' departure will continue to set the football program back for several more years.

But, unfortunately just like Trumpers who will never admit they were wrong about Trump, Flash Fanatics will never admit they were wrong about Sean Lewis.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.