ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kent State Good Enough

Aug 30, 2014
As a Kent State fan the 2011-2012 season gave me faith again that Kent deserved to have a football program. I, like so many others was proud to be a Golden Flash. It was simple GREAT coaches, SMART players and one team with one dream created WINNERS. The stint between these two years filled Dix Stadium, garnered outstadnding recruting classes, created school pride, gained Kent national recognition, gave pride to players and even produced the best academics ever seen in the football program. Oh yeah and it created a WINNING PROGRAM!

GOOD COACHA good coach
will teach the athlete to love the sport. He will inspire that athlete
to dream big and take risks in pursuit of that goal. He will motivate
the athlete to work hard, push through pain and fatigue and bounce back
from setbacks and failures. He will build trust among team members and
teach each athlete to sacrifice the "I" for the "we." A good coach will
teach valuable life lessons and model these through his behaviors and
interactions with the athlete and everyone he comes in contact with. A
good coach will directly and indirectly change that athlete into a
better, more confident, happier person. And the result is a WIN. That was Hazell.

Hazell changed the culture in just two seasons. A roster that was once
divided was brought together by the 48-year-old native of New Jersey,
who had no previous head coaching experience before accepting the job
following the 2010 season.

From a article dated Dec. 22, 2012 written by Mike Carmin : SMOOTH TRANSITION

(players) Brown Jr. and Kent Cleveland were recruited to Kent State by previous head coach Doug Martin, who won 29 games in seven seasons. Hazell had to sell the current players about his vision for the program and why his methods would be different.
"As
soon as he walked in, he lit up the room," said Brown Jr., who is from
McKeesport, Pa. "He let it be known from Day 1 this is one team and we
were going to play together. He took on the challenge of being the Kent
State head football coach when nobody really wanted us. He let us know
we could be winners
." Cleveland recognized there was something different about Hazell during the first team meeting. "Right
off the bat, you could tell he cared about everybody on the team,"
Cleveland said. "Before he got here, we were separated. The first thing he did was make everyone one team. That
was the biggest thing. We played together and we play off each other.

BAD COACH
A bad coach, on the other hand
will teach very different lessons. Through his treatment of his players
and interactions with those around him he will turn his athletes off to
the sport. He will gradually kill the athlete's love and enjoyment of
the game. He will steal the athlete's self-confidence and energy and
replace them with self-doubts and apathy. A bad coach will motivate the
athlete to expend her energies in self-protection and risk avoidance,
rather than personal excellence. He will breed jealousy, selfishness
and mistrust on the team. He will snuff out dreams and make the athlete
fear failure on and off the playing field. A bad coach will leave the
athlete diminished and embittered. And the result is LOSS!

Since the new coaching staff has taken over from Hazell the team and program spiraled down. Even with the return of Dri Archer and Trayon Durahm - Kent loss 8 games last year and only won 3 games in the MAC. NO BOWL. Of the 27 recruits that Hazell recruited in 2012, 11 have quit and the few remaining that were trained by Hazell and staff are benched or have limited play. Haynes clearly does not have the ablity to mesh a team. As a result we have less or no experience on the field opposed to teams who are playing experienced redshirt sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. The team is once again divided. Why loss or bench players who participated or were trained by the winning program.

As I watch post game interviews-press conferences with Haynes and players, Haynes appears rattled and lacks confidence. He repeats the same reasons every week for the losses and his only answer is we must do better next week. He sits with freshmen players who clearly do not understand why they have been put in this situation. Opposed to Hazell who always appeared confident. He had a very specific answer to the challenges they faced and his players appeared seasoned and prepared to respond to reporters.

Last night after the loss to S. Alabama, Coach Paul Haynes states; "Again, we came up short," Haynes,
whose Golden Flashes fell to 0-2 at home to start the season. Haynes states "But we are not good enough
to get negative plays and overcome them."

I can only imagine what he tells this team in the locker room after games. "We just are not good enough"? This team is Good Enough - Maybe the COACH isnt GOOD ENOUGH.

MAKE THE CHANGE SOON - WE DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN to the DARK DAYS of Kent State Football

Below is memory -

In Hazell's first season, 2011, the team had two three-game losing
streaks, but also had a five-game winning streak in the latter half of
the season. Kent State dropped their first three contests, which
included losses at eventual BCS national champion [7]

The 2012 season began with a 41-21 win over 1973 team
for most wins in a season at nine. On November 11, the Flashes were
ranked 25th in the weekly AP poll, their first time being ranked since
November 5, 1973, when they were ranked 19th for one week.[11]

Kent State vs. Ohio at Dix Stadium in 2012. The Flashes won the game 28-6 to clinch an 8-0 season in MAC play.
Kent State clinched their first-ever MAC East Division title and spot in the [12]
Following the win over Bowling Green, the Flashes rose to #23 in the AP
poll and entered the Coaches' and Harris polls at #25. Kent State was
also ranked for the first time in the Ohio
at Dix Stadium on November 23, which clinched their first-ever
undefeated season in MAC play and set a record for most wins in a season
with 11.Purdue
on December 5, but Purdue granted Hazell permission to coach Kent State
in the bowl game, the first bowl appearance by the Flashes since the Arkansas State 17-13 to finish 11-3 overall

http://www.hustlebelt.com/mac-football/2014/8/29/6081399/ohio-bobcats-vs-kent-state-golden-flashes-football-preview

SadRob, I appreciate your contribution to this site. However, I have to point out that Darrell Hazell did not have outstanding recruiting classes while he was at Kent. According to Rivals, Hazell's first full class was ranked 99th and his second class was ranked 102nd before he left for Purdue. The truth of the matter, Hazell was able to win with Doug Martin's recruits, most notably Dri Archer. But when Archer, was unable to play in the fourth quarter against Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl, the Flashes were mostly ineffective on offense and consequently lost the game to a Sun Belt Conference team. On the premium site, I discuss the importance of recruiting and the ability to implement offensive and defensive plays that players can execute successfully. Although I don't follow Purdue very closely, I know that the fanbase in Lafayette, Indiana is losing its patience with Hazell. That's only natural when you pay a coach a base annual salary of $2 million and he only has 2 wins and 12 losses to show for it. What's worse is most of the losses are blowouts including the 38-17 loss to Central Michigan. Hazell's predecessor Danny Hope earned a Big Ten low of $950,000 annually. In Hope's last year, Purdue went 6-7 losing to Oklahoma State in a bowl game and went 7-6 in 2011 defeating Western Michigan in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. Purdue fan's probably now wish Hope was still coaching the Boilermakers because at least they went to bowl games.

Nashvillegoldenflashes, I appreciate your reply. For clarification my comments are not an indictment of Hazell's or Hayne's recruits or current players. It is far from that. Nor is it an indictment of Purdue (which I do not care here nor there if they win or lose) I am a Golden Flash fan. My comments were strictly related to coaching which has great influence when it has an overall impact on wins, fundraising, fan support, players future and more.

I merely, state the facts as a result of a statement made by Haynes in his press conference and the current status of the program. Unfortunantly, it appears that you agree that the players are not good enough and that it is not the coaching that has generated the return to the Dark Days of football at Kent State.

You indicated that Hazell won with player from Doug Martin's era this was one of my points exactly. For the record I Agree, these were seasoned players that Hazell's coaching staff - coached well and made One Team One Dream. If you will note that is exactly what great players from Doug Martin's era like Kent Cleveland stated. Further, as for the recruiting classes - according to Rivals: pertaining to Hazell, his first full class (2011) was ranked 3rd and second class (2012) was ranked 5th in the MAC. As for Haynes, his first class (2013 - which was a mix of recruits from the Hazell era) was ranked 7th and then his next class (2014) was ranked 11th in the MAC.

Once again, the recruiting class is not my point nor my issue to debate. My simple point is that with coaching and confidence we can go back to winning. Winning as a team could be any coach - a Harbaugh, Saban, Bowden... This program has lost everything that was built in two years, it just so happen that Hazell was the coach and had the right prescription. Hazell's program may not be winning at Purdue he surely won at Kent with what he received and cultivated from Martin's players and the players he recruited. They became a winning team.

I am a big fan of Dri Archer (watched the Steeler's play today because of him), but to indicate that all Kent's success under Hazell was due to Dri Archer is an insult to many great Kent players like, Roosevelt Nix, Luke Batton, Trayon Durham, Luke Woolett, Darius Polk, Josh Boyle, and... When you indicate that they lost the GoDaddy Bowl and the MAC Championship, it was a fact that they made it as a team and a major accomplishment since the 70's. That team had an intensity that beat teams like Rutger's where we scored 35 points on scores from Archer, Hitchens, Fackler, Durham, and Boyle.

And finally to compare apples to apples. While Hazell was at Kent he made less (in salary) than the current coach and clearly produced more. His performance of wins, funds raised, pride and must I say more, is the reason he was recruited to Purdue.

No matter our remarks, observation or comments, at the end of the day we have returned to the Dark Days.

SadRob, you are right, "we have returned to the Dark Days" but whose fault is that? You seem to believe that if Darrell Hazell was still at Kent the Flashes would be a competitive football team. Perhaps Kent would be better than it is now but don't think for a minute that the Flashes would be nearly as good as it was in 2012. As stated before, Hazell was able to win because he was the beneficiary of Doug Martin's recruits. Martin's last two recruiting classes (2009 and 2010) were ranked 1st and 2nd in the MAC respectively. You are correct that Hazell's first recruiting class had a respectable 3rd place ranking in the MAC but Martin and his staff were primarily responsible for getting them to commit to Kent before Martin was forced to resign. However, I will give Hazell credit for signing the recruits that Martin recruited. Although Hazell's second class was ranked 5th in the MAC and was better than Haynes' two recruiting classes, it was far from the quality of Martin's last two recruiting classes. The fact of the matter, if Hazell didn't have the talent that Martin recruited he would have struggled just like Haynes is now. But because Hazell just happened to be in the right place at the right time, he was able to parlay his success at Kent to a $2M salary, 6-year contract much like Stan Heath when he took the Flashes to the Elite Eight with Gary Walter's players and then promptly left for big bucks at Arkansas. But after mediocre seasons at Arkansas and South Florida, Heath is now out of a job just like Hazell will be when Purdue realizes it made a big mistake in hiring him.

So who is truly to blame for bringing Kent State back to the Dark Days? If Joel Nielsen hadn't forced Martin to resign, we wouldn't have 11th ranked recruiting classes in the MAC and would probably still have NFL-caliber talent on the field. If you have forgotten, Martin recruited Roosevelt Nix, the 2010 MAC Defensive Player of the Year, along with NFL draftees Jameson Konz, Usama Young, Jack Williams, Julian Edelman, Brian Winters, and Cleveland Browns defensive lineman Ishmaa'ily Kitchen.

And if it wasn't for the clueless Kent State fan base who started the fire Doug Martin mantra in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess today.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Dri Archer is also an NFL-caliber player that Martin recruited. As you know, Dri was drafted in the third round. There might even be some more NFL-caliber players that Martin recruited but it's hard to remember them all.

This post was edited on 10/26 11:03 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

As stated before, Coach Doug Martin recruited Julian Edelman, who showed more HEART than most of the players who have ever played at KSU, with the exception of Jack Lambert and perhaps a few others (see link). Although the current team may be short on Division I talent, there are several players who make up for it with their passion. That said, I'm beginning to like this team and believe that Coach Haynes is going to be successful because he has the ability to find players who play with a lot of heart. And ultimately, a big heart triumphs over all odds. Go Flashes!!!http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...3C-zXhJ8MHShb9nMrUrlKPrw&ust=1413992166510850
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...3C-zXhJ8MHShb9nMrUrlKPrw&ust=1413992166510850
images

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...3C-zXhJ8MHShb9nMrUrlKPrw&ust=1413992166510850

The legend of Julian Edelman

The win today is a testament to the character of this team. With a stronger and more experienced offensive line, the Flashes should show great improvement next year. Go Flashes!!!

ADVERTISEMENT