ADVERTISEMENT

Brimfield police chief shares thoughts on death of Jason Bitsko

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Many questions remain surrounding the death of Kent State football player Jason Bitsko, even as arrangements are being made for his final services.

A young athlete, 21, is projected to be the picture of health. Any tragic early end is almost immediately expected to come from somebody doing something wrong.

But in a moving and eloquent Facebook post, Brimfield police chief David. A. Oliver, who responded to the 911 call Wednesday morning, sheds enough light on what he saw, and ultimately experienced that should ease some concerns.

It begins ... "Before (Wednesday) I had not heard of Jason Bitsko. It is a shame I never met him. He was my kind of guy."

And later it ends ... "If you knew him, you are better because of it ... Chief Oliver."

He wrote about talking with those close to Bitsko: "I spoke with his friends and teammates. Down to the last one...they all praised his faith, work ethic and character. He did not use drugs or alcohol. And, just to add ... the environment in the apartment backed that information up. Not one beer can, drug bong or inappropriate item. Now, I am not saying anything negative; however, in 20 years of police work, with the death of such a young person, I expect to see remnants of the party life. Not in the case of Jason Bitsko."

He talked about the sadness surrounding the team and friends: "I felt sadness for the Kent State football team and community. My heart was broken for Jason's family and friends. When I was in the large meeting room with the whole team and then a smaller room with Jason's fellow offensive linemen ... I felt grief. I have never been in a room with such large men ... who were all crying.
My thoughts and prayers are with the Kent State team and coaches, Jason's family and friends and anyone he impacted during his time on earth."

The post is tagged 'Chiefs babble' but it is far from that as Oliver writes about the apartment he entered, what he witnessed, and his experiences the rest of the day dealing with Kent State football coaches and players.

The responses from those who have read the post -- from players, to parents, former athletes, police officers, students and more, are equally compelling.

Brimfield police chief shares thoughts on death

ADVERTISEMENT