ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Verbal Commitments

Feb 11, 2008
Please share, so that every high school kid can read it.

I hope every HS kid reads this. The difference in recruiting now and say 20 years ago is light-years apart (Hell even 10 years ago). I would encourage, and wish, that if recruits aren't 100% sure about a school - DON'T VERBALLY COMMIT. When you commit you are giving your word to that school that you are COMMITTED TO THEM AND THEM TO YOU. The school is committed to you, but they can't make you sign. THEY ARE TAKING YOUR WORD AS YOUR BOND. They are holding that spot because, in a way, the recruit is holding the school hostage for that spot until the last day of signing. There were a lot of pissed off people this week about one specific instance (me being one) and a lot of people tweeting, posting on this board some harsh things. I am never in favor of bashing kids that are in high school that is probably being pulled in many directions, by many people. That is not anyone's place. But I am also not going to make excuses and act like this type of behavior is 'OK'. It is only the player's and the player's parent's decision. Ultimately, they will have to deal with the outcome. Just be cautious of the type of example you are setting moving forward and what people will remember about you.

In this day and age of all the recruiting announcements at the High Schools, All-American games and the big productions made about the player's announcement, it comes down to this - DO YOU HONOR YOUR WORD, DO YOU FOLLOW THROUGH? There will be a day when whatever sport you are playing is over, and if you are extremely lucky to make it to the NFL, NBA, etc. or you start working at an everyday job, people will only respect you if YOU ARE A PERSON OF YOUR WORD. All this grandstanding and the Me, Me, Me show about your decision isn't what makes the person, BUT YOUR WORD IS. I want you to be proud of where you are going to school, you have worked hard to get to that point. But humility and honor are some powerful character traits in the make-up of a person. Give me a team, or a business, full of those types of players/people, and I will stick with them 100%. It's is like the great Barry Sanders father told him after he scored touchdowns, "Give the ref the ball and run off the field. Act like you have been there before."

Sorry this was so long.

Reactions: nail1988
ADVERTISEMENT