ADVERTISEMENT

Nielsen's Mess

I'll second that! From what I understand, things are a mess in the Athletic Department. Thank heavens for being able to count on Golf and Baseball, two warm weather sports that our teams are able to compete at a national level beyond expectations of the local climate. We have vacancies because of long-term employees either being dumped or just flat out bolting. I think we have a guy and his buddy at the top who really wanted to take a quick step here and onto bigger and better things and for the moment are in way over their heads. The egg on the face from that $1 million donation still stings. I don't even get these guys soliciting my donations, what gives? You shouldn't have to sit and wait for somebody to hit you up for the money you usually donate...you should actually be on for the usual and then some. I give annually, I also donate to each and every special project and even suggested one a few years ago that Laing actually used. If I was a fundraiser I'd pretty much be certain of those that give annually will give that much, I'd try and see if I could get more. If you give $50 I'd try and get $100, if you give $500 I'd seek $1000 and onward. I'd not sure if they're only chasing the whale, but in the meantime they are ignoring many including myself. I don't have to give, I want to give, I expect to give, I set $$$ aside to give...I should have to ask them to take it and then feel fortunate they did. Since they took over they screwed up my donation level (and the perks included) and then now have just forgotten about me. I'll spend my money elsewhere, no problem, but it's sad.

From a prolific MACbbs poster:

"Today I received an email from Pres. Diacon, as I'm sure others in the Alumni Assoc. here did as well. It was titled "We Must Do Better" and promises an investigation to get to the heart of what was an embarrassing situation for the university.

I hope once people are heard, the deeper problems in the Athletic department will be revealed and the appropriate action will be taken to clean up the mess at the top."

Maybe there's some hope after all!

ADVERTISEMENT