ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State at Cleveland State live updates

Suddenly, Kent State's win over Iona doesn't look as impressive.

Bryant wins 73-72 on a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

At halftime it's Kent State, 34-23.

I like what I see out of Justin Greene and Justin Manns when they're out on the floor together.

It really gives Kent State a presence on the boards.

Steve, I saw your recommendation for Kent to better recruit Ohio and PA for football. I wished the basketball program would also put more emphasis in recruiting Ohio kids. At Fan Experience night back in August, I talked to both Geno Ford and Jordan Mincy about Tanner Gibson of Zanesville but Geno told me he only has one scholarship left and is not looking for another point guard. I understand but wished Geno had recruited Logan Aronhalt a few years ago when he was an assistant coach for Jim Christian. Aronhalt was the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Association Division I Player of the Year in 2007-08 and is one of four sophomores to be voted captain in UAlbany's Division I era.

NWPPTBWNOFCJODA.20100103174614.jpg

BTW, nice halftime lead over the Vikings!!!
This post was edited on 11/14 6:12 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

Logan Aronhalt

Sorry for the lack of updates...went to the floor to shoot some photos and videos and came back to find my Internet connection had dropped.

My thoughts at halftime were that I really like Justin Greene and Justin Manns on the court together. Manns feeds off Greene well and they provide a presence on the glass.

The Flashes out rebounded CSU, 30-19, at halftime.

Greene really is playing well and if he continues he's going to be one of the best in the MAC for sure.

CSU isn't shooting well, just 29.4-percent at halftime, and missed several gimme layups. Meanwhile, KSU shot 41.0-percent in the first half.

Hey Steve, how is the crowd for the CSU vs KSU game? I was trying to check the espn.com box score for the game, but it wont come up. Listening on KZONE. What do you think of KSU vs CSU live? Meaning, your expectations driving to the game vs what you have saw through the 1st half and part of the 2nd half.

What do you think of KSU's newcomers, Guyton, Leonard, Porrini, Gaines, Johnson, and Manns?

The crowd is pretty small and not much blue and gold.

I thought Kent State would pretty much take it to the Vikings and so far they haven't disappointed.

Greene is playing very well and I think tonight was the night for Manns to emerge, as Guyton did last night.

Manns had 8 points and 4 rebounds and 2 blocks at halftime.

Darius Leonard just drew some praise from Geno Ford for hustling out for a rebound on a Randal Holt 3-point miss.

The Flashes are out hustling the Vikings and CSU can't much up to the physical play of KSU, despite having some bigger guys.

There's no real good match-up for CSU in this game.

Originally posted by rjwagner:
What do you think of KSU's newcomers, Guyton, Leonard, Porrini, Gaines, Johnson, and Manns?

Guyton is really good...though he hasn't played very much tonight, or at least it doesn't seem like it.

Leonard hasn't done much, but like I said in a previous post, he drew some praise for his hustle.

Porrini brings some toughness, but he plays a bit out of control at times. I think if he can play with the same intensity, but in a more controlled manner, he's going to really help the team.

Gaines had a really nice dunk tonight. He's got some ups.

Johnson played just four minutes in the first half, so I need to see him more...and he just scored as a type this...but he brings a nice resume to the court.

And Manns...I've covered him above. He's going to be pretty good. He's really explosive under the basket and he's got a knack for blocking shots. He did hang under the hoop a bit calling for the alley-oop. He'll have to get more involved and create opportunities for himself.

Originally posted by rjwagner:
I figured NOrris Cole would be a tough matchup with his length on the wing for CSU?

Cole led CSU in the first half with 10 points...but he really hasn't caused much of a problem yet for the Flashes. I think Kent State really is its own worst enemy, if I can even say that.

They aren't playing perfect, but they don't have to right now.

This is a crucial time for the Flashes...CSU is making a run, but aren't doing it quickly because they aren't shooting well. The problem is the Flashes aren't shooting any better right now.

It would be real nice to pull this one out and start 3-0, no matter the teams KSU has played, that is a real nice start, especially with all of the newcomers.

I sure KSU can get the funds/fund raising it needs, to be able to give KSU football/basketball the upgrades that they need from a recruiting, facilities, and assistant coaching staff salary standpoint. Nielsen still has til May of 2011, to complete his 1st year and take it all in (current status of all of the MAC and surrounding mid-major teams for both sports, as he travels to away games and sees results of games in different sports as the seasons/year ticks away).

Sure hope that HOlt can slip out of this funk he has been in the 1st 3 games of the year.

Apparently it wasn't a double tech...KSU didn't get to shoot and CSU got the ball after making two shots.

The Vikings then went to the line and it's now KSU 47-44 with 10:10 left.

Another 3 and it's KSU 50-48 with 8:41 left.

It seems the Flashes aren't in sync...some players are running the court like they're trailing and others want to slow it down.

Ford calls timeout. Let's see if the Flashes can regroup....and now a turnover. CSU can tie it here.

Offensive foul on Pogue.

Guyton misses a 3...Leonard with the board and a miss.

CSU goes down and misses a 3, then ties it off the offensive rebound.

7:34 left...it's 50-50.

It's gut check time for the Flashes.

As much as the fans probably would prefer a 30-point win, I think this is a good challenge for the Flashes.

Over the past five minutes, CSU has dominated. Now, Kent State has to step up, calm down, and finish the game strong.

Wow, Guyton and Sherman seem to be nonexistent. What happened with the tech fouls? Hopefully they can dig deep and pull this one out!

Apparently, it was just Greene that called for the tech.

Sherman hits a pair of free throws to make it 53-52 CSU with 6:35 left.

A CSU miss gave KSU the chance to retake the lead, but Porrini's pass nearly went out of bounds. Sherman saved it then Holt was called for traveling.

Do you think KSU can pull this one out or you think CSU has taken control? I lost the KZONE feed, but now ESPN.com's box score is working.

I think if KSU can manage to break the press without panicking they'll be fine.

Manns with a defensive play to alter a shot, then he chases down the loose ball. Guyton then hits a 3 and KSU leads 57-56 with 4:13 left.

Unfortunate that Manns missed the ft, but looks like he made up for it on the defensive end. Nice to see GUyton come alive. Manns could have a Q like impact on the defensive end, which they have sorely lacked since Q exhausted his eligibility.

Sherman misses a 3...CSU ball.

Kamcyczk with a third-chance basket....Guyton was KSU's only defender under the hoop.

It's 60-57 KSU.

Sherman goes down hard on the other end on a Pogue foul.

2:51 left.

ADVERTISEMENT