ADVERTISEMENT

Hate to say I told you so

stevehare Rivals

The Golden Flash!
Dec 21, 2001
As a long-suffering Kent State fan it pained me to see the events unfold that led to last night's embarrassing loss.

The new AD and his co-hort didn't make many friends in year one. I heard negative things from the football coaches, basketball coaches and even coaches from one of the women's teams.

But, my biggest issue was pretty much forcing the former head coach to resign. No, they didn't tell him to resign, but the writing was on the wall.

Instead of supporting the only coaching staff at Kent State in the last 30 years to make positive strides in all areas of the program, including becoming more competitive, outstanding recruiting, academics and character.

But, the new AD's, the football gurus they are, had a better plan.

Let's invest all that money they raised for the program into a new coaching staff, one that has proven nothing at Kent State.

Oh, everyone said be positive. Hazell knows what he's doing.

I don't doubt that Hazell is a good coach. He's also a stand up guy.

But this is Kent State. Many good coaches and good guys have failed to even make a positive stride in the program.

It's not Hazell's fault.

It starts at the top.

I took great pride in seeing Doug Martin's offense at New Mexico State--a team that was 2-10 last year--put up 800 yards of offense and score 52 points in the past two weeks against Ohio and Minnesota, with the Aggies beating Minnesota in Minnesota.

Somehow, Martin's offense avoided the same mistakes we saw so frequently in Kent. Did he suddenly learn to coach in New Mexico?

Our former defensive coordinator is now at Miami. The RedHawks only allowed 17 points to the high-powered Missou Tigers. That same Missouri team scored 30 against Arizona State yesterday.

One of our former coaches also is at Bowling Green, a team that was 2-10 last year. Through two games the Falcons are 2-0 and have scored 90 points and allowed just 28.

Every team our former coaches are now with have improved. Yet, Kent State got worse.

Great move Nielsen and Kleinlein. Fantastic.

Steve, once again I agree with you that it isn't Hazell's fault. If the team continues to play poorly, I will not be critical of him. However, I will be critical of Nielsen since he is responsible for setting the football program back several years. One of my goals for this site is to rename Nielsen's Nest to something else. With your departure, I'm not certain what the future holds for KSR, but as long as it is here I want you to know that you will always be welcomed. Afterall, you created KSR.

STEVE I RESPECT YOUR OPINION BUT, I HAVE TO DISAGREE. IF YOU LOOK AT THE ENTIRE FOOTBALL PROGRAM FROM THE INSIDE OUT THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD THINGS GOING ON. THE WEIGHT PROGRAM AND OFF SEASON TRAINING IS WHERE IT STARTS. IT IS MUCH IMPROVED AND SO IS THE MEAL PLANS AND NUTRITION. IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO GET A PROGRAM AS BAD AS KENT TURNED AROUND. BUT I THINK THEY ARE STARTING IN THE RIGHT PLACES (FROM THE INSIDE). MY SON IS THRILLED TO HAVE THE NEW COACHES AND SAYS THAT THE TRAINING IS TWICE AS HARD AS IT USED TO BE. WHEN WE GET A QB THINGS WILL CHANGE.

Fred, no doubt I'm sure the players say things are getting better.

I've heard it over and over through the years at Kent State and at Notre Dame, the other program I cover.

When Charlie Weis was hired at Notre Dame we heard all about the new weight program and how chiseled the players were and how much discipline was being instilled.

Three years later the team was 3-9 with the worst offense in the school's history.

Five years later and the Irish were breaking in yet another new coaching staff.

This year, after hearing all about the off-season training and discipline yet again, the Irish are 0-2 after turning the ball over 10 times in two games, they lost at home to South Florida and lost at Michigan after leading 24-7.

Yes, it will take time to turn around a bad program like Kent State, but when you reset the clock every five years by hiring a new coach the turnaround never occurs.

That's where Kent State is at.

The last coaching staff had made a commitment to the program, above and beyond what any previous staff in the last 30 years had done.

They upgraded the talent and depth...and although it doesn't seem like it, you'll have to take my word for it. The depth on this team in the past was really, really bad. The talent wasn't far behind.

The Flashes weren't able to compete in the MAC. Now they are and that's the work of the previous staff.

Not only were they beating the Toledo's and Bowling Green's and Miami's on the field, they were beating them in recruiting too.

Let's watch the recruiting from 2011 and beyond. After another unsuccessful season how are the Flashes going to recruit a top quarterback? Top offensive linemen?

Who wants to lead an offense that is going to get him sacked 5-6 times and hit another 15-20 times per game?

I'm sorry, but the program took a major hit.

Steve, I was one who encouraged others to stay positive. But after what I've watched so far, I couldn't agree with you more. As they say, "I see better than I hear"
This post was edited on 9/13 7:13 AM by t3310cg

Looks pretty gloomy for this weekend as well.........

Kansas State 66
Kent State 10

Well every fan base has at least one.
flush.gif

ok steve, i hear what you are saying but what would of happend if the ball would have been thrown to the recievers where they had a chance to catch it. we were open and could have moved the ball ( if we had somone to get it there). we are blaming the wrong person here, he can only do so much for what he has to work with. we need a qb and we would be fine

Like I didn't blame the previous coaching staff, I'm not blaming Hazell.

I said it over and over and over, I don't care who coaches this team so long as KSU is working on an Eastern Michigan budget its going to compete like Eastern Michigan.

The last staff made the most of what it had and really made strides with the program on the field and off and especially in recruiting.

Instead of investing in the program, the new AD and his sidekick did what every failing program does, college or pro, and brought in a new coaching staff.

That new coaching staff is fighting the same battles as every other KSU coaching staff for the last 30 years.

So, no, I don't blame Hazell. I blame Nielsen and Kleinlein for setting the program back yet again.

At some point people have to realize its the program itself that needs fixing, not the coaching staffs.

Successful coaches have come to Kent State and failed. Coaches that failed at Kent State went on and had success at other schools.

Yet, the braintrust wants to continue to believe the "right" coach can make it happen.

Welcome to another five years of bad football. It's a vicious cycle.

you guys suck and get ready for a royal beatdown on saturday!! you guys are last in the country in about every offensive stat out there and you are facing the number one defense out there stat wise in the country so i do not know how you are going to score!!! you suck!!!

Originally posted by llub95:
you guys suck and get ready for a royal beatdown on saturday!! you guys are last in the country in about every offensive stat out there and you are facing the number one defense out there stat wise in the country so i do not know how you are going to score!!! you suck!!!

What he said!!!!

wow. kansas fans need to grow the f*** up. what morons
This post was edited on 9/15 6:50 AM by fredjet1

Steve I agree with you 100% on what you are saying. They had a coaching staff who wanted to be here and change the culture of KSU football. Martin had offers to go to the pro's but turned them down to stay in Kent and finish what he started. What did he get for it. The boot from the new AD. I have tried to stay positive with the new change but it does look to be the same old KSU. I have made some phone calls to a few old friends that are still at Kent State. They told me that they were able to take in a practice.I asked them. I thought practices were closed. They said they found a way. If you guys only knew. They have the players to run a read zone offense but the offense cord refuses to see that. He has been stubborn to change. When he gets the type of players he wants then maybe he can run his offense he wants. If there is no compromise by him Spencer will continue to struggle and if he goes down you will see a tall QB in Ronyack but not the best option at that spot.
This post was edited on 9/15 7:51 AM by ksu122
This post was edited on 9/15 7:58 AM by ksu122

I wonder if they run their mouths with Big 12 teams that actually appear in the top 25. I guess we have it coming to us like Eastern Kentucky did.....

I recognize that I am complete outsider, but I watched the Kent-ULL game. In my opinion, the turnovers killed Kent. I also thought, given the rainy conditions, they should have run the ball a whole lot more. If Kent protected the football, you're 1-1.

Amen Koppe, but the one guy is a KU troll, it's what he does. Poses as a Wildcat. We apologize for these fools.
embarassed.gif

ADVERTISEMENT