ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching legend Don James, a 'great mentor' of Nick Saban's, passes away

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
Coaching legend Don James, who was Nick Saban's coach at Kent State and has been repeatedly cited as Saban's biggest influence, died Sunday. He was 80 years old.
James was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He spent the bulk of his coaching career at the University of Washington, which announced the news of his passing.
James coached 18 seasons as Washington, leading the Huskies to six conference championships and the 1991 national title. During his 22 seasons as a head coach, he amassed a record of 178-76-3.
Born in Massillon, Ohio, James played quarterback at Miami (Fla.) and earned his master's degree at Kansas. He held assistant coaching positions at Florida State, Michigan and Colorado before landing his first head coaching gig at Kent State in 1971.
James was Saban's head coach at Kent State during Saban's final two seasons as a Golden Flashes player. Though Saban wasn't exactly itching to become a coach, James offered Saban a role as a graduate assistant in 1973.
"I didn't grow up wanting to be a coach," Saban said in Sept. 2011. "He recognized that and asked me to be a coach, to be a graduate assistant, when I didn't have any intentions of being that.
"The only reason I did it was that my wife had another year of school. So I couldn't move and take a job. I had to stay there and do something, so I did it. I really enjoyed it and continued to do it, got hired full time and went on from there."
When James was hospitalized in September, Saban offered his condolences to James, whom he called a "great mentor."
"Don James probably did more than anybody in this profession to influence me," Saban said in 2011. "From an organizational standpoint, our program is run a lot the same that Don James ran his program. Very well-organized, efficient, defining things that are expectations for players, coaches and everyone in the organization.
"He was always personal and inspirational to players and people around him. A great leader. He certainly impacted me and I certainly appreciate all he's done, and will continue to do. Every time I call him and ask him something, he gives me a lot of good input." (see link)

Don James

ADVERTISEMENT