ADVERTISEMENT

Developing mental toughness

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
Since many of the visiting posters on this forum are Bama fans, I thought I would share one of my posts I made on the premium site back on August 4, 2015. Hopefully, you will appreciate it since mental toughness is a major part of Saban's "Process".

Developing mental toughness

KSU alum and current Alabama head coach Nick Saban defines mental toughness as follows:

"I think mental toughness is a perseverance that you have when you can make yourself do something that you really don't feel like doing. In other words, you don't really feel like getting up, but you get up. You don't feel like practicing today, but you practice. You don't feel like focusing today, but you focus. And, even in difficult circumstances and difficult surroundings, you can stay focused on what you need to stay focused on. So, it really is a mental discipline to be able to stick with in whatever circumstance you are in and continue to persevere at a high level and not let some other circumstance affect how you perform."

"But it's how you affect being a good competitor," he said. "You can't be a good competitor if you can't overcome adversity. You can't overcome adversity if you don't have mental toughness. So, it's the same as physical toughness except it's how you think, not how you physically do something."

In the same press conference that Saban was asked to define mental toughness, a question was asked for him to recall his most meaningful game when he was at Kent State and Saban singled out a game against Bowling Green.

"Bowling Green had a really good team, one of the better games we played as a team," Saban said. "We had to play at Bowling Green, and Don Nehlen was the coach there then, and they had a really good program. It was the year we won a championship, which we weren't really supposed to be all that good. We beat them up at Bowling Green, which doesn't sound like a big game relative to Alabama and Florida or Alabama and Georgia or Alabama and Auburn. But in the Mid-American Conference, that was a big game and a big win for us, and really put us in the position where we had a chance to win a championship, which we went on and did as a team."

Saban also vividly recalled the last game of his last regular season, even though he did not play because of an injury.

"We played Miami at Miami (Ohio), and Jack Lambert was the middle linebacker," Saban said of the Kent State star. "We got in kind of a seven dime and somewhat of the same goal-line defense we play now. And they had a guy named (Bob) Hitchens, who played in the NFL and was a tailback. They completed a pass down to the 1-yard line. And it was like, I don't know what the score was for sure, maybe 21-17 or something, and they needed a touchdown to win. They went four plays in a row where they wanted the lead. He tried to jump over and Lambert was a middle 'backer and he knocked him back every time. And they went for it on fourth down, and I sort of remember that game probably because that won the championship for us."

So if Kent State was not really supposed to be all that good the year the Flashes won the MAC championship, one can make the argument that KSU won it more on mental toughness than on pure talent.

But how do you develop mental toughness and can that be the determining factor in making the current team more competitive than last year's team?

Mental toughness is developed every day in practice and during weight training and conditioning throughout the year. Of course all teams practice and lift weights but the difference between average teams and championship teams is the ability to work through pain. Whether weight lifting or practicing in hot, humid conditions, you have to get to the point of pain because it doesn't do any good in developing mental toughness until you get to the point of pain. The whole idea in developing mental toughness is when you are in competition with someone else and you hit the pain barrier, you should welcome it because that means your opponent is experiencing pain and to the degree that you are better able to work right through the pain than they can enables you to defeat them.

In 1972, both Bowling Green and Miami might have been more talented than Kent State but the Flashes had more mental toughness which was the deciding factor in winning the conference championship.

The margin of defeat in Kent's six MAC setbacks last season was 10 points or less. The Golden Flashes were in position to tie or take the lead in all of those games in the fourth quarter.

"We know how close we were in a lot of games,'' senior defensive lineman Nate Terhune said at MAC Media Day last week. "This year, we have to finish."

With fall football camp beginning this week, how well the Flashes finish games this season may come down to the team's ability to work through pain during adversity. If last year's 27-24 season-ending victory over arch-rival Akron is any indication of the team's developing mental toughness, expect to see a more competitive team this year despite its last place MAC East finish in the Mid-American Conference football media poll.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/video_nick_sabans_press_confer.html

Last edited:
This post will leave a mark with some posters. Fair warning: You may be labeled an ass kisser.

People who may think this obviously don't know me very well. The reason Kent State fans no longer post on here is because I seriously question the University's policies and actions. I'm the antithesis to the secular liberal sentiment of Kent State and my views typically offend most fans. Below is a post I made on the premium forum explaining the reason why they are offended.

The cost of truth

I understand in this country, everyone has the right to their beliefs and opinion. But often times when someone says they have the right to their opinion, they are indicating that they are not interested in the truth, even if other people in the discussion are.

In public and on social media, we are not suppose to offend others. We don’t want to hurt others and make them look stupid because they believe in the wrong things or view things in the wrong way.

However, there is a big difference between maliciously offending someone and telling them the truth.

The truth will always be offensive to some people because it shows them that they are wrong in their thinking and what they believe to be the truth.

In our politically correct society today, far too many people become offended at the truth simply because they have lost the meaning of what truth really is.

Certainly, everyone has the right to their opinion but if you cannot speak the truth, you have nothing of value to add to society, or to a conversation. Because if you only have your opinion that is only based on what you believe to be the truth, then making a comment on social media or message boards will only show your inability to analyze and offer any beneficial information.

I know my perspective is typically diametrically opposed to the views expressed on Flash Fanatics, and because of that I'm glad.

For all the readers who come here seeking truth, I appreciate your interest. I realize you have to pay to read my posts but each reader will just have to decide if the cost of truth is worth it.

I love the the old Saban KSU stories that he tells. Sad story he told one time about the Kent St protest shooting while he was a student. He that Missouri coach and Lambert were in the cafeteria when the National Guard opened fire.

The Missouri coach you referenced was Gary Pinkel. Since you mentioned the Kent State shootings, I thought that I would include another post I made on the premium board back on January 2. Certainly, compared to Alabama and other storied programs Kent State is not known for its football. However, surprisingly enough KSU has had its share of NFL players and Hall of Fame coaches. Bama fans know Saban went to Kent State but there are many other greats who also attended the school.

Kent State's other "hallowed ground"

To many Kent State students, the grassy hillside where the May 4th shootings took place is considered hallowed ground.

As a Vietnam era veteran and Kent State alumnus, I don't want to appear sacrilegious and wish to give proper remembrance to those who died on that fateful day. But if the May 4th site is considered hallowed ground because of its historical significance, I would suggest that Dix Stadium could also be considered hallowed ground to Kent State football fans.

Despite the many losses that the Flashes have had there, I believe Dix Stadium is a special place where amazing feats of skill, strategy, strength, and stamina by future NFL players and Hall of Fame coaches are noted, and saved for posterity.

With exception of a few players who played at Memorial Stadium, most of Kent State's 49 players who played in the NFL performed at Dix Stadium. And of those 49 NFL players, 42 of them were drafted. The most famous of these NFL players include Hall of Famer Jack Lambert, Julian Edelman, James Harrison, Josh Cribbs, and Roosevelt Nix. Hall of Fame coaches include Lou Holtz and Don James, along with future Hall of Famer Nick Saben, who is on track of winning his 6th national championship, and Gary Pinkel. If you don't believe Pinkel is worthy of the College Football Hall of Fame, click the second web address below.

Of course I realize that Joel Nielsen and many delusional Kent State fans want the M.A.C. Center to become the mecca of college basketball but with KSU's current RPI and losing record, I just don't believe that is ever going to happen, at least not any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate former players Andrew Mitchell, Trevor Huffman, Eric Thomas, and Antonio Gates, who put Kent State basketball on the map, but with the exception of Gates, who became well known as an All-Pro NFL player, no one else will be remembered outside of the MAC.

So keep that in mind when you hear Kent State mentioned again next Monday night as Saban ties Bear Bryant's record for winning the most national championships. Hearing Kent State during last year's Super Bowl with Julian Edelman was great but this might be even better. When you consider the Sugar Bowl between Alabama and Clemson had an average viewership of 21.1 million, just imagine what the viewership will be for the national championship game. Got to love it!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/kentst/

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_4cd6253c-be78-55fc-a85d-603aea068d56.html

You post to yourself? Perhaps you should visit the Sooner freeboard and meet PlainoSooner. He too is a window licking fuktard like you.
Enjoy getting raped on Saturday.
facepalm-hopeless.gif

You post to yourself? Perhaps you should visit the Sooner freeboard and meet PlainoSooner. He too is a window licking fuktard like you.
Enjoy getting raped on Saturday.
Welcome, Okie trash.

I'm not going to guarantee we win on Saturday, but we're hell of a lot better than the Kansas team that almost beat you guys last year.

Before that game, I'll watch Kent State alumnus Nick Saban go balls deep into your Big 12 BFFs.

• Haha
Reactions: theSeanDon
Welcome, Okie trash.

I'm not going to guarantee we win on Saturday, but we're hell of a lot better than the Kansas team that almost beat you guys last year.

Before that game, I'll watch Kent State alumnus Nick Saban go balls deep into your Big 12 BFFs.
Interesting take, you're a talented writer, How about you put that in a subscription based publication of sorts and then I'll believe you

Welcome, Okie trash.

Do you have a twin who is an OU fan?

Reactions: theSeanDon
ADVERTISEMENT