ADVERTISEMENT

Christian fan of a secular university

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
Back in October, a poster distributed by Kent State University on Twitter asked if the phrase "You need Jesus" could be considered hate speech. The poster caused an uproar among Christians on campus and one student demanded an apology.

Jared Small, president of the Campus Ministry International student organization, told The College Fix website that the poster was inappropriate.

"The university should apologize because it appears to be targeted toward one political and religious side," Small wrote in an email. "They could have included hate speech against President Trump or hate speech against Christians as examples. In my opinion, free speech protects hate speech to an extent," he continued. "However, the university appears to show a bias against Christians and conservatives."

I find it interesting that around that same time, I posted the following message on The Kent State Golden Flashes Football Facebook page and it was deleted:

“If I die today, I would feel my life has been a success. Why? That’s the question you need to ask yourself. Number 1, I have experienced God’s love. Second, one woman has loved me the entire time and that’s not easy to do in this society. And the third and final thing, I have been in a profession that I’ve loved.”

This quote came from former Cleveland State men’s basketball coach Gary Waters during a retirement ceremony earlier this year. Walter's retired after 11 years at CSU and was the winningest coach in the school's history. Prior to his tenure at Cleveland State, Waters coached at Rutgers and Kent State. As the head coach at KSU, Waters had a record of 92 wins and 60 losses. He led Kent to its first NCAA Tournament appearance in 1999 and a second in 2001 before leaving for Rutgers.

Although Coach Paul Haynes has not had the same success as Walters in terms of a win/loss record, I'm confident that if you ask him this question he would respond with a similar answer. Haynes, like Waters, understands he is more than a coach because he does more than teach young men how to play a game. He truly believes that the noblest work is building the character of man and like Waters, does not hide his faith in Christ.

Unfortunately, many of Kent State's secular fans fail to understand the true meaning of success. It's my hope that President Warren and athletic director Joel Nielsen understand that success is not just winning games but more importantly building character for life.

The same message was posted on the Kent State University Facebook page and the Kent State University Golden Flashes Facebook page but it was not deleted. But why would anyone have a problem with my message? I have read many profanity-filled messages on these Facebook pages that were never deleted, so what did I write that was offensive? The only thing I can think of is the word, "Christ."

Liberal comedian Stephen Colbert once explained the connection between liberals and vampires. He said, “We should not be surprised at all that vampires are Democrats. After all, they scream when they see a cross." Evidently, some liberals must have the same reaction when they see or hear the word, "Christ."

Since Kent State is a secular liberal institution, I guess conservative fans like myself just have to be tolerant of the intolerance of the University.

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017...ould-you-need-jesus-be-considered-hate-speech

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News